Tuesday 25 June 2013

Review - MILES PROWER - 'PNEUMATIC EP'




A while back, I promised to review this EP for Netlabelism but sadly as it is a paid release it does not really fall into the remit and so I thought I would pop my review here instead.


Not being a gamer myself, I had to Google Miles Prower to understad the reference. Being a fan of pop culture however, I can appreciate the reference in the same way I can appreciate Upcdownc's ubiquitous name too!

It is pop culture that we are concerned with here. Every track is bubble gum. The saccharine sounds on offer, evoke memories of first year freshers parties, living room mega-drive sessions and that movie with that Ryan guy that everyone fancies. The relentless 'whomp' of the kick drives this collection of infectious melodies deep into your skull until you see rainbows.

Stand out track for this reviewer would be 'San Francisco Nights'. It's stuttering arpegiator bass is clean and pulsating while the celestial delayed synth melody washes over you; all ear-wormy and lush. It's like the title track to a cult classic TV series in a perpetual 80's decade. It's like Bladerunner but Rick Deckard is a Powerpuff Girl.

Another moment of brilliance is the song 'Starlight Burning' at 2.31 as the beat breaks; all clicking hats and panning delay while a half time beat creeps in to accompany a steadily evolving filtered bass. It practically wubs it's way back into the refrain where Alice Maria Sparey's vocals glisten like angel fire.

There are times when this EP is trying to push new territory. The throbbing sidechain at the start of 'Second Chance' is forward thinking and Dan Mur's vocal is a revelation to this genre; it is immaculate and mainstream but reminds me more of Apparrat than Savage Garden in this context.

There are other times when the sacharine becomes almost too much but I get the impression this is what the focus was. 'Pneumatic EP' is a time machine. It's a nostalgic shell suit of an EP with a strong emphasis on synth pop and House. I have lot's of time for it.

You can purchase the album from Future City Records here for the modest price of $4.50 USD.


No comments:

Post a Comment